I deleted several applications from my desktop and suddenly some of the icons are not showing up properly. I’ve tried deleting the IconCache from user/AppsData/Local and restarted my computer but the problem is still there.
Here is my solution:
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get the task manager.
2. In the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and click End Process. You’ll get a confirmation dialog. Click “End Process” to confirm.
Don’t’ Panic! windows explorer just disappear!
Note: do not exit out of the Task Manager
3. From the File menu (still in the task manager), choose New Task Manager
4. Copy the following command and paste it into the run box and run it:
cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a
5. Go back to the file menu and open another New Task. Enter this command into the run box and run it:
Once your normal windows explorer comes back on. All your icon should be good to go.